Use your leftover bread to create these Tasty Croutons, perfect for salads, soups or to eat as a snack.
- Leftover bread about 5 cups (this can be from TRADITIONAL LOAF BREAD recipe)
- Olive oil (approximately 2 TBSP)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut up bread into crouton size bites
- Place into greased pan with sides (depending on amount of bread – you may want to use a 13×9 or lasagna size baking pans)
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and carefully drizzle oil over cubed bread and mix
- Sprinkle garlic powder and Italian seasoning over bread cubes and mix
- Return to oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden color
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan a few minutes then enjoy!
Do you ever wonder how fancy restaurants have such yummy croutons? You too can have the same tasty croutons at home. Just follow this super easy recipe using your leftover bread!!!
Tips & Tricks for perfecting Tasty Croutons
This recipe can be modified based on the spices you prefer, or what you have in your pantry. Consider making more exotic croutons using spices like chili powder or taco seasoning
Also measurements can be easy altered by the amount of bread you have available. You can mix and match with different types of bread to jazz up your Tasty Croutons. For example, try using sour dough bread and french bread. Another option might be french baguette mixed with a whole wheat bread. Day old bread works best for this recipe.
Croutons are best baked in a pan with sides, because half way through you need to stir the contents. I prefer using a 16×12 lasagna size pan, but you can substitute a 13×9 or similar type baking pan
It is really hard not to sample croutons after it comes out of the oven, because it smells so good! Remember that the croutons will taste the best once it has had time to cool
You can use these croutons in recipes, for salad or just as a snack
Remember to store the croutons once they are cool in an airtight container. Also remember that they will only last for a relatively short time if there were no preservatives in the bread. This is particularly something to consider if you are using homemade bread for the croutons.
Background of Tasty Croutons
My family LOVES croutons. It really should be categorized as a snack food versus a salad garnish! So finding super tasty croutons is at times challenging. In fact, most store bought croutons just don’t have the yummy flavor or the light consistency.
So I decided to experiment with leftover bread and spices. I found that the TRADITIONAL LOAF BREAD recipe makes the best croutons ever. The consistency of the bread toasts up to the perfect crouton. I could make a loaf of bread into croutons and my family will snack on it and devour it in less than 2 days!
Also if you have leftover french baguette bread or italian crusty bread, they also make tasty croutons. Somehow when you make croutons at home they just taste better than store bought. It really makes a perfect salad. Experiment with using these TASTY CROUTONS on different salads, to garnish vegetable dishes or to mix with pretzels or popcorn for a unique movie snack!!
So next time you host a party or want to impress your family, consider make some TASTY CROUTONS.