Easy Oven Chuck Roast - Comfort Food at its best!!
- 2-3 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 tsp basil or italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken broth flavor packages or cubes
- 2 cups water
- Olive oil
- 1 TBSP flour
- In a Dutch Oven (or roasting pan), put in about 1 TBSP Olive oil and brown chuck roast on the outside on stove top
- Add basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, bay leaves, chicken broth and water on top of meat in Dutch Oven (roasting pan)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Place meat in roasting pan with a lid into 300 degree oven for 15 minutes
- Turn temperature down to 275
- After 2 hours turn the meat over in the roasting pan. Add another cup of water if needed.
- Roast another 1-2 hours depending on size of roast. Roast should be fork tender and falling apart when done.
- Take roast out of oven to rest 10 minutes before carving
- If you would like to have gravy, take pan drippings and put into a sauce pan bringing to a boil.
- Mix flour with ¾ cup water. Add to boiling pan drippings, turn down heat and stir until thickens. Pour over carved meat on plate
Every wonder how to make fork tender roast beef? Look no further, this is the perfect recipe for you – an Easy Oven Chuck Roast. The ultimate comfort food, easy to make and will have your family asking for seconds!!!
Tips & Tricks for perfecting Easy Oven Chuck Roast
This is a great recipe for when you have time to cook, but easy enough to quickly make and slow cook in the oven
If you prefer to use a crock pot, remember to brown the outside of the roast prior to putting it in the crock pot. Also reduce water to approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cups. Follow instructions from your crock pot for a chuck roast (each crock pot is a little different) – probably a low setting for around 8 hours.
You can change the seasoning to whatever you have at home. I like to use traditional Italian type seasonings like garlic and basil. If I have fresh rosemary this really adds a great flavor. You can also use more traditional type seasonings like onion powder and a mix of flavors in a no salt type of seasoning
I like to use chicken flavor broth because I always have it at home. It doesn’t change the flavor of the roast. If you prefer you can use beef broth or vegetable broth.
Typically I use broth flavor packages or cubes for this recipe. However sometimes I use pre-made broth in a package. In this case use about 1 broth package or 2 cups of broth. Then make sure not to add the 2 cups of water to the recipe. The 2 cups of water was to mix with the broth flavor packages or cubes to essentially make broth
Background of Easy Oven Chuck Roast
Making a roast that is fork tender is really the best. Over the years I have tried many different recipes and ways to make a beef roast. I have had successes and failures. This recipe has always worked the best. There is know better comfort food than an old fashioned, fork tender, hearty roast beef.
I found over the years the most important thing is to take your time and slow cook the roast. You can change the seasonings or change the type of broth and the roast will still always be great.
Take a chance and give it a try. Making this roast for your family with mashed potatoes and a salad for a perfect meal.