Perfect Holiday Treat
- 1 LB pecans or walnuts for beginning the candied nuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Beat egg white and water with mixer in bowl until stiff
- Mix in pecans or whatever nuts you are using and coat well
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and salt in separate bowl
- Pour sugar mixture over pecans and mix gently until pecans are coated well
- Grease backing pan with sides (13×9 or larger)
- Bake nuts for approximately 35 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes while baking.
- Break apart nuts so they don’t stick together
- After nuts are baked, toss again and break apart
- When cool, store in air tight container
Need a special candy like treat for your next holiday party? Consider making candied nuts to add to your buffet. Candied Nuts are special treat that your friends and family will love.
Tips & Tricks for perfecting Candied Nuts
You can use whatever nuts you like. I prefer pecans and walnuts because they hold the sugar well, but you can mix whatever type you like
Consider using also lightly salted nuts like almonds and cashews that are ready to eat. I prefer using whole nuts versus pieces
Other nut choice that you might consider are cashews, peanuts, filberts, pistachios
You can change the cinnamon with other spices if you like, or mix in other flavors
Some other spices to consider for flavors include: ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and anise seed
Even though it is tempting, don’t eat the candied nuts when warm The candied nuts are somewhat soft until they have cooled off
Background of Candied Nuts
This recipe was very popular many years ago. It became a staple at our house during the Christmas season. The smell in the house while the nuts were baking was amazing! Everyone could not wait until the yummy candied nuts were ready to sample. I often would make Christmas cookies or Easy Sugar Cookies and would include Candied nuts as a special treat.
Friends and family would always comment how much they loved the Candied Nuts. You can often find vendors in shopping malls selling something similar, but homemade is always so much better!!!
This recipe also is a great addition to various party events like baby showers, birthday parties and Thanksgiving buffets. Mix these nuts in with some candies of the season, like holiday M&Ms or Candy Corn. Make this recipe your own and let it become a new family favorite!