Super Easy and Tasty Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes (estimate 1 per person for Baked Sweet Potatoes)
- Butter (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees
- Clean/scrub sweet potatoes
- Cut off any bad areas and any eyes/strings growing out of sweet potato
- Poke sweet potato with fork about 6 times
- Wrap each sweet potato in foil
- Place in oven on rack (put foil under potatoes because of possible leaking) or in a baking pan with sides
- Bake approximately 1 ½ hours depending on size
- Sweet potatoes will be soft when done
- Unwrap and cut in the middle and add a pat of butter and serve
- Or remove skins and scoop out and place in a bowl
Do you ever crave sweet potatoes but don’t want all those extra ingredients used during Thanksgiving holidays? Well you are in luck. This is a perfectly simple, super tasty way to enjoy sweet potatoes.
Tips & Tricks for perfecting Baked Sweet Potatoes
Try to select sweet potatoes that are similar in size
You can easily use this recipe to make mashed sweet potatoes with a little milk and butter
If you want to change up this recipe a bit, sprinkle on a little cinnamon or allspice after the sweet potatoes come out of the oven
Even though the sweet potatoes are wrapped in aluminum foil they probably will leak out of wrapping. Remember to put a baking pan/cookie sheet under the sweet potatoes or line the oven rack with aluminum foil
Background of Baked Sweet Potatoes
When I was a child, I loved sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows out of the oven super gooey and sweet. But as I got older I found that sweet potatoes, like the ones I had as a child, just didn’t have any appeal. I just avoided sweet potatoes all together.
Then I discovered baked sweet potatoes. They have just enough sweetness but not too much. They offer a great side dish when you want something a little different.
They are super easy to make, just clean up the sweet potatoes, wrap them in foil and put them in the oven. Then set the timer and wait for them to be done. A perfect complement to pork chops, a roast, or turkey.
So next time you aren’t sure what side dish will work with your main meal, consider baked sweet potatoes. You will love them!!