Best Party Food!!!
- 1 pkg of little smokies hot dogs for your Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 – 8 oz. refrigerated pkg of crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 TBS of water
- Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning blend
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Carefully remove the crescent rolls from the package
- Take each segment of crescent roll dough and cut into 3 pieces lengthwise
- Take one little hot dog and roll it in the crescent roll smaller ⅓ segment. Start with the widest part of dough closest to the little hot dog and continue rolling until all dough is around the hot dog creating your Pig in a Blanket
- Place completed little Pigs in a blanket – hot dogs rolled into dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet
- Scramble up one egg with 1 tablespoon of water until thoroughly mixed.
- Brush on the egg mixture to the top of each little pig in the blanket on the cookie sheet
- Sprinkle on top of each little pig in the blanket Everything but the Bagel seasoning
- Bake in the oven approximately 15 minutes until crescent roll is brown
- Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy
What is the easiest and best tasting appetizer or main meal for a party? Pigs in a Blanket of course!! Make this recipe for the holidays or your special event and watch everyone smile and eat seconds and thirds! Pigs in Blanket are always the first treat to disappear!!!
You can use regular size hot dogs with this recipe, just don’t divide the crescent rolls into 3 pieces – keep the crescent roll its original size. Roll hot dog in the crescent roll, brush with egg mixture, sprinkle with seasoning and bake in oven for 15 or more minutes until crescent roll is brown
Any seasoning or seeds can complement pigs in the blanket. Try sesame seeds, caraway seeds, Italian seasoning, coarse ground pepper, or coarse ground salt. Adding unique toppings upgrades this appetizer to an Adult favorite
If you prefer eliminate the seasoning on top and just brush with egg mixture prior to baking
I used reduced fat crescent rolls for this recipe and it worked great. Regular crescent rolls will also produce a equally wonderful result
Organic hot dogs or uncured hot dogs with no nitrates work particularly well with this Pigs in a blanket recipe
Consider lining the cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up of your Pigs in a blanket
When making full size hot dogs, consider slicing them down the middle and inserting some cheese (sliced in small slivers). You now have Cheesy Pigs in a blanket. Any type of cheese will do, american cheese slices, cheddar cheese slices, mozzarella slices, colby jack cheese slices, pepper jack cheese slices or whatever type of cheese you have on hand
Offer ketchup, mustard, spicy mustard, ranch dressing, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce on the side when serving the little Pigs in the blanket.
Perfect Pigs in a Blanket
When my kids and their friends were little, this was one of the most fun to make and fun to eat foods that we would make all year long. I think hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, and chicken nuggets were each a separate but necessary food group, HAHAHA!
This Pigs in a blanket recipe is considered a must do for birthday parties, spring parties, sporting events, and of course Super Bowl and football parties. When making this recipe for children, usually the most basic plain type Pigs in the blanket is best. Some children however do enjoy cheese in the middle of the pigs in the blanket.
Adults love to eat spicy/adult type Pigs in the blanket. Consider using pepper jack cheese, maybe some chopped up jalapenos, sprinkle on some hot sauce. Also make sure you have some unique sauces available for the adults to use when dipping their Pigs in the blanket. Spicy BBQ sauce, spicy mustard, ranch dressing, honey mustard, salsa or even queso!!
Pigs in the Blanket are one of the best and easiest appetizers to make for both adults and children. Always a fan favorite and always gone first at any party! My family and friends always want them and ask for seconds. If you have a big crowd remember to plan on making 2 batches or maybe even more! Don’t forget to make some Yummy Chex Mix for that big crowd too….