Delicious Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Jam, with only 6 simple ingredients.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups oats to begin making the Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks of butter)
- ¾ cup jam (whatever kind you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan
- Combine flour, oats, sugar and baking soda in a mixing bowl
- Melt butter and pour into bowl and mix by hand
- Mixture should be clumpy – take out about 1 cup and put in separate container – reserve for top of cookie
- Spread oat mixture into baking pan – press down with hand or spoon until flat
- Spread out or drop jam on top of oat mixture – be gentle – it doesn’t need to cover all the oat mixture
- Crumble on top of jam the 1 cup of reserved oat mixture
- Bake 35 minutes or until top is golden
- Cool on rack
- Cut into bars
Do you ever have a taste for an old fashioned oatmeal cookie bar? The kind of cookie that reminds you of your childhood? Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Jam and a glass of milk will remind you of simpler times.
Tips & Tricks for perfecting Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Jam
I prefer to melt the butter when using this recipe versus cutting up butter into the oatmeal. Either way will work well.
Consider melting the butter in the microwave to speed up the process. Start with 30 seconds and continue doing another 30 seconds, and repeat until the butter is melted
You can substitute brown sugar or sugar in the raw for the sugar in this recipe or consider mixing and matching different types of sugar
You can use a little almond flour in this recipe. Consider substituting 1/4 of almond flour for 1/4 cup of the regular flour. Almond flour gives the cookies a slight nutty flavor and a little more dense texture to the oatmeal base and topping
When working with the jam for filling you may need a little more jam depending on the type you use. Some jams are more thick than others. My philosophy is that you can never have too much jam in these cookies
I prefer using old fashioned oats because it provides a crunchier cookie, however quick oats work great also
Sometimes you may want to add nuts to the top of this Oatmeal Cookie Bar. I suggest adding approximately 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans. So yummy
You can add items to the jam to spice it up! Consider mixing in the jam or sprinkling on top, coconut, dried cranberries, dates or raisins
Background of Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Jam
One of my all time favorite go to simple dessert recipes is the Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Jam. While my kids were growing up, they couldn’t get enough of this delicious snack. I love how you can individually cut them and wrap them up so you can take them on the go.
This is the kind of recipe that reminds you of family and good old fashioned cookies. Its the wonderful flavor of butter mixed with amazing jam that gives this recipe that homemade taste. If you have homemade jam or can find some, go ahead and treat yourself! It will make this recipe even more special.
If you prefer pie-filling type centers, you can substitute the pie filling for the jam in the recipe. If you are lucky enough to have any kind of berries available, make your own pie filling and use it in this recipe. Enjoy this taste of homemade goodness!